Nebraska Marriage License

Before you get married in the state of Nebraska you will need to apply for a marriage license. You must be at least 19 years of age or if you are 17 or 18 years of age you may apply with the consent of a parent or legal guardian. There is no waiting period in Nebraska. Your license will be issued the same day. You can contact a wedding officiant and elope the same day!

If you are getting married in another state a Nebraska license won’t work. You will need to obtain that state’s license. Your license is good in any county.

The Douglas County Clerk’s office is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. They are located downtown at 1819 Farnam room H08, at the Harney Street level, in the Omaha-Douglas Civic Center. They can be contacted at 402-444-6080. You may also obtain your marriage license from any courthouse in the State of Nebraska and use it anywhere in Nebraska.

Nebraska marriage licenses are public record. Your name and age will be published in the Omaha World-Herald and in the Daily Record. The newspapers come in daily to pick up the list of names of the applicants from the day before. Usually your name will be printed within a couple of days after the day that you applied.

If you do not want you name in the paper, you will need to discuss that with the Omaha World Herald at 402-444-1000 or the Daily Record at 402-345-1303.

Due to new provisions of the Judicial Code of Conduct, effective January 1, 2011, active judges cannot perform marriage ceremonies between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., You can contact a professional wedding officiant, such as I Tie The Knots, who can perform a ceremony anytime for you.

You will need two witnesses when you get married. The witnesses do not need to be present when you get the license, but they will need to be present at the marriage ceremony. A Wedding Officiant can provide witnesses for you, if needed.

Douglas County Clerk Information

A Special Day!

A Special Day!

Read View reviews: in